The rise of eLearning has made education more accessible than ever before. The eLearning industry is valued at $315B in revenue, which makes it a lucrative sector many companies are stepping into. However, eLearning providers face one challenge: translating their content into multiple languages. Business statistics point to strong performance in the market (20% growth or more in the coming decade). Modern organizations know that they must deliver high-quality learning material quickly to stay ahead of the competition. This is all fine when working with just one language, but delivering multiple languages in eLearning can become a challenge, whether you follow waterfall or agile production models. Global users create a strong demand for translated eLearning material, and businesses will miss out on customers, partners, and talented employees if they only produce content in English. Forward-thinking eLearning organizations and translation vendors have turned to custom and adaptive Machine Translation as a solution.
Traditional translation methods can be time-consuming, inefficient, expensive, and may not always be accurate. And this is where AI comes in, in the shape of highly specialized Machine Translation (MT). It is high time to disrupt and revolutionize eLearning translation services.
MT is a technology that belongs to NLP, the branch of Artificial Intelligence that solves language problems and, as a result, can automatically translate eLearning content from one language to another. With the advent of Large Language Models and their application to translation services, high levels of accuracy are being obtained.
Learn more: Things You Need to Know About Machine Translation
The advantages of Machine Translation for the eLearning industry
MT has several advantages over traditional CAT-tool-based translation methods, but we understand you may feel a little skeptical about the technology. You do not need to fear anything. Advances in Artificial Intelligence technology are achieving higher and higher levels of human-like quality thanks to a combination of massive data sets, specialist terminology, Deep Adaptive MT model building, and continuous product testing.
For example, Pangeanic’s Machine Translation systems use deep neural networks, allowing them to learn the deep relations between words, as well as how and when they appear together. Deep neural networks learn the nuances of each language and their relation with the other languages. Machine Translation software learns as it produces the translation, and its quality continues to improve over time. You can also use automated services for document translation with private cloud-based solutions like Pangeanic's ECO platform, a very mature option for translating millions of documents daily. Our translation models have been trained using domain-specific language terms for fields like the automotive industry, engineering, finance, healthcare, or legal documents, so they are able to translate complex terminology very accurately.
Here are some advantages:
- Speed: MT can translate texts much faster than human translators using a CAT tool. This can save eLearning providers a significant amount of time and money.
- Accuracy: MT algorithms have improved significantly in recent years, and they can now produce very high-quality translations that are almost as accurate as those produced by human translators. There is always the possibility of an online review of the MT output.
- Cost-effectiveness: MT is a cost-effective solution for eLearning translation. It eliminates the need to depend on human translators and traditional manual processes, which are inefficient and expensive.
- Multilingual support: MT can translate eLearning content into multiple languages, enabling eLearning providers to reach global audiences and markets.
- Customization: MT algorithms can be customized to meet the specific needs of eLearning providers. For example, MT can translate industry-specific terminology and jargon so that all nuances of each specific client and subject can be taken into account.
- Continuous improvement: MT algorithms are constantly learning and improving. This means that the more eLearning content is translated using MT, the more accurate and efficient the translations become.
Revolutionizing eLearning translation services
Overall, MT is a powerful tool that can revolutionize eLearning translation. It is faster, more accurate, and more cost-effective than traditional translation methods. As MT technology continues to improve, it will likely become even more widely used. For example, adding reviewer post-edits on the fly or after quality control processes have taken place for the machine translation model to understand corrections is already common practice. Thus, Machine Translation models improve from the very first day they are used.
There are some additional benefits of using MT for eLearning translation:
- Improved learner engagement: It goes without saying that when learners can access eLearning content in their native language, they are more likely to be engaged and successful. This is because they are able to understand the content more easily and without any barriers. Learning should always happen in one's native tongue.
- Increased brand awareness: By offering eLearning content in multiple languages, eLearning providers can increase brand awareness and reach a wider audience. This can lead to increased sales and revenue.
- Enhanced competitive advantage: eLearning providers using MT to translate their content can gain a competitive advantage over those who are not. This is because they are able to reach a wider audience and provide a more engaging learning experience.
Pangeanic has a long history of building custom engines specialized in each client's domain, saving hundreds of hours in content delivery and increasing revenue opportunities for its clients.
MT is a valuable tool that can help eLearning providers to improve their reach, engagement, and success. If you are an eLearning provider, we encourage you to consider using custom and adaptive Machine Translation services to translate your content.