Localization technology helps companies to globalize their business models. It is a commercial ally that allows companies to introduce products and services onto online markets, and connect with audiences anywhere in the world.
It is the most efficient way to optimize websites and applications, as it fully adapts them to a new target audience with a different language and culture. Keeping up to date with the available localization technology is essential.
What is localization technology?
Localization technology is the set of tools, systems, and platforms used to manage the translation and localization of digital products (web applications, websites, user interfaces, etc.).
It is the technology that is used for adapting digital media to promote products and services to markets with another language, another culture, and other values. These may be located in other countries or other regions, or simply a different slice of the population.
The differences between translation and localization
The differences between translation and localization are as follows:
Translation does not take into account the characteristics of the new target market. A translation process transfers the written message from one language to another.
Additionally, translation does not take into consideration the need to adapt all audiovisual content. It focuses on reproducing the original text or content, according to the structure of the source and target language.
Recommended reading: 10 Myths About Translation
On the other hand, localization encompasses a wide range of cultural and technical factors. The goal of a localization process is to translate the content, while taking into account the particularities of the language, the customs of the target country or region, their values and beliefs, among other aspects.
Localization can be understood as an umbrella translation service in which, in addition to translating the original text, the visual content (colors, images, graphics, etc.) is also adapted, the structure of the text is modified, and the functionalities, options, and sections of the web pages or applications are redesigned, if necessary.
Website localization technology
Website localization technology makes it possible to create attractive and convenient navigation in the target language, adapted to the new audience, while also preserving the integrity of the original message.
What is its purpose?
Website localization technology is used to translate and adapt websites, applications and various user interfaces.
Website localization can streamline and automate a number of repetitive tasks associated with the traditional translation process. For example, error checks or extracting strings to send to the translators.
It is of great importance when developing websites or software because it allows all the content or text to be translated without having to hire separate translation services. It also helps to improve the consistency and quality of translations.
More information: Into How Many Languages Should You Translate Your Website?
The website localization process
Basically, website localization involves the following steps:
- Localize the content by translating and adapting the text and its structure to the characteristics of the new market.
- Adapt the design and graphics of the website to suit the new length or format of the various translated texts.
- Adapt images to match the values and culture of the target country or region.
- Take into account the payment methods and the type of currency to adapt the website and to give the new user the feeling of browsing a local website.
- Adjust sizes, units of measurement, or other variables that allow the new target audience to understand what and how much they are buying.
- Adapt the website to the requirements and regulations dictated by the laws of the target country. This is a necessary step in order to avoid legal inconveniences.
- Optimize the platform or website to provide a comfortable browsing experience to the user.
Key tools in localization
The most successful strategy in the localization process is to limit the number of tools involved. It is about using the key combination of tools in a way that creates a comprehensive solution that allows the company to achieve the planned global reach.
The main tools in localization must help distinguish the elements of the programming code from the elements that need to be translated and localized. They act as a kind of web text processor and classifier to prepare the data for the localization process.
One of the key tools is AI-based machine translation. Artificial intelligence in localization consists of offering the user personalized recommendations according to their geolocation, age, browser history, and other preferences.
The benefits of localization
The main benefits of localization include:
- It facilitates the adaptation of websites or applications to the taste of the target audience in the target country.
- It allows the brand to connect with audiences in different countries, in accordance with the company's globalization plan.
- It covers keyword research and keyword insertion for SEO optimization of the website. This ensures the website's success in search engine rankings.
- It includes the translation of strategic content associated with marketing.
In addition, automatic localization, which combines artificial intelligence with the expertise of human translators, has the following advantages:
- It guarantees a higher quality of spelling and grammar.
- It is able to process more high-quality content in less time.
- It makes it easier to achieve terminology consistency with the use of a central database.
Trends in localization technology
Among the major trends in localization is the use of artificial intelligence. For example, the use of AI in localization makes it possible to track a website's visitors and provide them with a personalized recommendation. It can help to avoid offering customers products or services that do not interest them.
There is also the IoT (Internet of things) localization. The Internet of Things facilitates the interconnection of electronic elements used in everyday life. But the concept of IoT localization is even greater because it involves translating and adapting the system so that any user in any country can use the different devices in their own language.
Another influential trend is using localization technology for the following activities:
- Speech recognition and the creation of subtitles in online business meetings.
- The generation of automatic subtitles and dubbing.
- The creation of product descriptions, using AI copywriting.
In addition, there is a strong trend towards mass adoption of machine translation that includes localization services.
At Pangeanic, we offer a localization service that goes beyond what a simple translation can do for your website. In addition to the accuracy of grammar and terminology, we also take into account all factors (colors, images, expressions, humor, cultural references, etc.) that may influence the understanding and acceptance of the website on the new market.
Contact us. At Pangeanic, we help you globalize your company.